Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Rare and Irreverent Bird.

I have always been amused by the concept of 'Muse'.  Something about being a muse seems enchanted, adventurous and very fun.   I love finding new muses, they offer new insight and help you discover new parts of yourself.  My newest muse is a self-confessed geriatric starlet, Iris Apfel.  I love Iris, she is a much needed breath of fresh air. Lets inhale, shall we. 
Iris Apfel, has been taking the museum circuit by storm, with her recherché sense of style.   Like so many respectable style muses Apfel believes that having great personal style is based on finding and knowing yourself.  A good sense of self, is essential to discovering what you love, what you hate, and not giving a damn about what anyone thinks of your pink leopard pancho.
Apfel started out as an interior decorator, she and her husband later established Old World Weavers;  a well respected textile reproduction company.  In her pursuit for exquisite textiles she travelled through Europe, the Mediterranean and North Africa, she says, "I did fall madly in love with the Middle East because my taste go to the exotic." Her big bold pieces have distinguished her aesthetic, and made her an authentocrat.  Her postmodernist perspective is just a delicious hodgepodge.  
What I love about Apfel is she doesn't abuse fashion.  She isn't trying to show everyone how much money she has or show people how important she is.  According to her, "I just mix and put things together the way the spirit moves me."  For her it's about self-expression and freedom, and I think that those elements get lost today.  Lots of people just buy the label, they don't buy because of "I can't live without these shoes" love.  Too preoccupied with "luxury" and "status" to tap into their own sensibilities and be their themselves.  
Furthermore, Lady Apfel is having fun! People take fashion way too seriously.    I completely agree with Apfel when she says, "There's a sad lack of glamour in the world today," Apfel mourns. "And there's absolutely no fantasy," well said, Iris.  Where is the imagination?  Where is the excitement for the eyes? Too afraid to make a mistake?  Part of the excitement in getting dressed, is taking a risk, being a maverick!  What makes Apfel most muse worthy is she's fearless.  Be a maverick and one day if you're lucky, you'll be a muse. 
Iris is one of the OGs of real style, I love her--you will too! 




No comments: